Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: A Day in the Life of a Dyslexic

Thursday 12 July 2012

A Day in the Life of a Dyslexic

8am - A day off work, so an O.U study day, for me.

9am - Get books out.  Can't remember where I got to yesterday, a typical dyslexic problem.  I need to also organize an exam study schedule.  Can't organize my thoughts though;  having a 'bad' dyslexia day, today.

10am - I have re-read the same three unit pages in the last hour.  As I get to the end of one subsection, I can't remember what I read at the beginning.  The words move and swirl on the page as I try to make out the proof.
11am - Reading with dyslexia, is exhausting.  I put the books down.  Quick cup of Nespresso (Indrya) and I settle down in front of the computer to do some more work on TMA05.

12pm - So I can see the screen without the text swirling around, I have changed the background to Turquoise colour and the text to dark purple in font 28.  It still moves about on the page, but I can now see what symbols I am getting out of Mathtype.  I have also shut all the curtains, as the light enters my eye and causes pains in my head (like when you eat ice-cream too fast). This symptom is courtesy of Irlen Syndrome, a condition which accompanies my Dyslexia and Dyspraxia.

1pm - Dinner time.  I dare not read the newspaper whilst I am eating, as reading saps my study energy for later.

2pm - Back to the grind.  Writing out flash cards with Theorems from the handbook - the cards are small and my lack of dexterity in the hands (Dyspraxia), means that it is a slow process.  As I try and fix my glance between the flash card I am writing and Handbook, I continually loose my place as the writing swirls and vibrates on the page.

3pm - I need a break.  I have another caffeine hit and I sit down to read (Hardy's - A Mathematicians Apology), but as I read on the Iphone, it hurts my eyes.  I remember I have a 'Text to Speech' app on my Iphone, so I open it, only to discover that the essay isn't read properly by the app and it is almost unintelligible (think - Steven Hawkins computerised voice - and you are near to what it is like).

3:30pm - I give up with the app and add the essay to my growing pile of - want to read, but can't - pile.

4pm - Try and gain some inspiration from a book called 'The Dyslexic Advantage'.  I get to page two and put it down.  The text is too small and it swirls so much that I get motion sickness.  How Ironic, considering the title of the book!

5pm - Teatime - Fish and Chips.

9pm - I pick up the books again and try to make progress through the unit.  Because it is now almost dark outside, I can reduce the light in the room I am in to complete darkness and use a desk lamp and coloured overlays on the pages.  This reduces the swirl of text and lets me gain some ground.

1am - Bed - exhausted.  15 pages studied, all but forgotten, and a draft question for TMA05, pencilled out.


Most people think that dyslexia is just problems with spelling or grammar.  This couldn't be further from the truth.

Dyslexia can cause:

Visual disturbances
Memory loss
Organization difficulties
Distracting thought patterns
Overwhelm if more than one or two tasks are in hand
Spelling problems
Loss of confidence / feeling ashamed.

Dyslexia is a spectrum of symptoms and difficulties, with each dyslexic having often a unique set of difficulties.  Dyslexia is often accompanied by Dyspraxia or Irlen /  Mears-Irlen Syndrome, ADD and other specific learning difficulties.

This was a typical day, in the life of a typical Dyslexic.

Thank you.

[For more info - check out these links:  ADD/ADHD association/ Dyslexia association / Dyspraxia association / Irlen association]

2 comments:

  1. Daniel I take my hat off to you to have achieved so much given the dyselexia is truly amazing.

    It must feel like you've got both hands tied behind your back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, and my glasses do make it possible for me to read something, but for some reason unknown to me, thef positive effects of my coloured lense glasses, is wearing off. I am having another assessment to ensure my prescription hasn't changed, hence the increase in symptoms.

    Still, the glasses only improve the swirling text, I m still,stuck with the uncontrollable memory issues. I try brain training, meditation, alsorts, but no improvement. If none knows of a method, please let me know.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete