Powered by MathJax From GCSE Maths, to Rocket Scientist...: An Efficient Study Schedule

Saturday 23 June 2012

An Efficient Study Schedule

I reckon, that I have been studying in a rather inefficient way over the last few months, despite having the best intentions to be as near to 100% efficient, as possible.

What do I mean exactly?  Well, a typical study week, currently consists of me reading the Unit for that week, do a few exercises and write a rough draft for the TMA questions, that the Unit covers.  What I haven't been doing, is any real revision of previous units or exercises.  I have done a few, but they have been very much a token effort.

So, I have decided to be a little more rigid with my allocated study time, from now on, until the exam in October.  I also tend to find some activities much more mentally taxing than others, and I tend to find myself less able to cope with the more difficult material, at night.  I have penned a list below, of what I personally  find the most mentally taxing activities (most difficult at the top):

1.    Read New Unit Material
2.    Formulating answers to TMA questions
3.    Tackling Unit Exercises for the first time
4.    Re-reading previously learnt Unit material
5.    Revision exercises from previous Units.

I don't know how others find these activities?  I may be a little unusual, since because of my Dyslexia and Irlen Syndrome, I find the act of reading to be a more time consuming activity, than most people probably would.


With this in mind,  I plan to split my studying as follows:

Read New Unit Material -  3/4hr per day
Formulating answers to TMA questions  - 1/2hr per day
Tackling Unit Exercises for the first time - 1/2hr per day
Re-reading previously learnt Unit material - 1/2hr per day
Revision exercises from previous Units. - 1/2hr per day

Total 19-20hrs per week.

So far, I have been spending this amount of time on just points 1,2 and 3, above.

Anyway, lets just see how it goes.  As John Steinbeck once said, '...of mice and men... '!

No comments:

Post a Comment